Recognized in his community as a loyal, respected local leader, Bubba McDonald stepped into public service at a very young age. He was elected to the Jackson County Board of Commissioners and within one year, he was elected to the Board of Managers for the Association of County Commissioners in Georgia. He then spent 20 years in service as a State Representative where he became Chairman of the Industry Committee and House Appropriations Committee. Bubba played an integral role in the legislation that lead to the opening of our Georgia World Congress Center and served on the GWC Overview Committee for 14 years as well as serving on the committee that oversaw the building of the Georgia Dome.
In 1998, Bubba was appointed to the Public Service Commission by Governor Zell Miller. He held the seat until 2002 and then in 2008 and 2014, Georgians again elected McDonald to serve on the Commission. In 2018 he was unanimously voted as Chairman of the regulatory body.
Throughout his role in public service, Bubba McDonald has developed a deep knowledge of the energy industry, building invaluable relationships and resources that inform decisions on the commission. He is currently a member of the Electric Committee of the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners and serves as an executive member of the Nuclear Waste Strategy Coalition.
Bubba has previously served on multiple boards and committees and continues to be involved in the community, leading various business initiatives:
- Director, University of Georgia Small Business Development Center
- Board Member, Association of County Commissioners of Georgia
- Member, Board of Governors, Mercer Medical College
- Member, Board of the Advanced Technology Center, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Member/Committee Chair, National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners
- Named to Georgia Trend Magazine as one of Georgia’s Top 100 most influential leaders
- Business partner with his son, Lauren III in L.W. McDonald and Son Funeral Home with three locations.
- Chair of the Subcommittee on Nuclear Issues Waste Disposal and a member of the Subcommittee on Strategic Issues.